• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Extreme Whale Watching In Mexico (Video + Stills)

My film "The Whale's Tale" presents the friendly gray whales at the San Ignacio Lagoon in Baja California, Mexico. The whales come so close people touch them. This video can be seen on the web, if you have a high speed internet connection. It’s less than 15 minutes long.

This is a free, non-commercial, streaming video on the Windows Media Player. No ads and no strings attached. I still sell absolutely nothing.

My video site is:

http://intrepidberkeleyexplorer.com/Video.html

With any modem you can view still photos of the whales at:

http://intrepidberkeleyexplorer.com/Page25.html

There are over 30 of my other amateur travel videos on-line covering all seven continents. Visit Italy, Argentina & Brazil, England, Antarctica, Peru, Hawaii, China, Russia, Mayan Pyramids, American National Parks, Greece, or Turkey; see buffalo, penguins, or polar bears.

The planet is yours, including my Home Page giant galaxy of still pictures at:

http://intrepidberkeleyexplorer.com/

The Intrepid Berkeley Explorer :wave:
petawhale.jpg
openmouth5.jpg
myboatwhaleupforKF.jpg
spyhop4cropped.jpg

Mrslinarcos

Deckhand
That is one thing I would love to be able to do, see these wonderful creatures upclose. Once I did see some whales on a Canadian cruise in July 1993. We sailed out of Montreal, eastbound and up the Sanguenea River. I'm sure I misspelled that. Anyway, there were some guys out in Zodiac boats racing to each one just to show us where they were. I could only see them spouting water from their blow holes on the top of their heads, it was just totally awesome. :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

Based upon what I read plus the opinions of our guides, a certain percentage of gray whales at San Ignacio Lagoon (and elsewhere in Baja) exhibit a unique "friendly" behavior in their winter locations. This is taught by mothers to their calves, as they both approach tourist boats. (Never saw or filmed those teaching moments.)

I went to San Ignacio after being assured by tour operators that the odds of finding "friendly whales" were greatest there. Got that right.

It's still a matter of luck, my best video coming from a single whale who enjoyed being surrounded by an armada of admirers. Amazing to actually touch a whale. This one really enjoyed human contact.

Yet two other boats from our camp arrived at their destination, a dull island, while only my boat met this star among friendly whales. Had I been on either of those boats, nobody likely would be able to see these highlights from "The Whale's Tale". Always grateful being lucky.

No prior whale watching trip, and I had done many, compares with San Ignacio. Haven't gone whale watching in the subsequent 13 years.

Dave