• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

excursions

tonycockeram

Deckhand
Hi, I'm new to cruising but fairly ok with independent travel.
How easy is it to go independent when the cruise docks in port. where can i get the info re transportation from ?
The excursions seem v pricey and I prefer to be in a small group of people.
We are doing a Princess Mediterranean cruise.
Any help and advice from older hands would be appreciated.
tony

John

Deckhand
Tony

first of all welcome to Cruisingtalk.

You will normally find at the port entrances a number of tour agents selling their tours and/or taxi drivers offering to take you on excursions.

A number of the tour agents do have websites. So if you do a web check you may come up with a few names and ideas of cost. If you want any opinions on the independent tour guides you can always come back here and ask for the members personal opinions based on previous experiences.

tonycockeram

Deckhand
Monte carlo,
Livorno
naples... we want to go to Capri
santorini.. it was our honeymoon isle so we know it fairly well
kusadasi
mykonos
pireas .. we want to go to Athens
katakolon.. we want to do olympia
corfu.
thanks
tony

FlRic

Deckhand
Monte carlo,
Livorno
naples... we want to go to Capri
santorini.. it was our honeymoon isle so we know it fairly well
kusadasi
mykonos
pireas .. we want to go to Athens
katakolon.. we want to do olympia
corfu.
thanks
tony
I'm familiar with all of these ports so will try to answer as many as I can. Livorno is the Port for either Tuscany or Florence. Neither is close! What I am about to say applies to all the Ports. If you have not been there before it might be wise to consider the ship's excursions even though they are more expensive. A rule of thumb...the ship WILL leave you behind regardless of what happened, i.e. a flat tire, lost somewhere, late return etc.. Therefore, whomever you hire MUST conform to the ship's schedule! Don't let them take you "home" to see Mama and Papa on the way back or, for that matter on the way to your final destination.
It also goes without saying that if you hire a private tour be sure they speak YOUR native language....
Naples-you can catch a hydrofoil right there at the dock to take you to Capri.
Kusadasi..this obviously is Ephesis. We have spent 30 days in Turkey total and I can assure you that the Turkish accent is not easy to understand nor is there English down pat.
Piraeus..this is the Port for Athens. You can catch the Metro underground to go to Athens right at the Port. The signs on the train are in English as well as Greek. A good guide book will help you well but beware the taxi drivers. They will stop for passengers until the cab is full and they may or may not understand English.
Corfu..all you need here is a shuttle into town. The most interesting thing is the Empress' Sisi's Palace and then walk downtown and get an ice cream. No real need for a ship's tour as long as you have done your research first.
Incidentally, welcome to the Board!!!:cool:

alphakitty

Deckhand
I can answer that one. You should make note of your port agent listed in your daily cruise newsletter, take this ashore with you. Many times, they will be waiting for you as the cruise line will know you didn't check in and missed the ship. You mostly likely would catch up in the next port if that's feasible. Of course, you are flying yourself there at your own expense.

FlRic

Deckhand
Just to suppliment Mary's excellent response kieep in mind flying to catch the ship at the next Port assumes two very important things. One, you just happen to have your Passport on you at the time and not in the safe in your cabin and two, the next Port has an airport (many do not!). In other words, DON'T MISS THE BOAT!!!:eek:

Floflegs

Deckhand
We found that in Europe many of the independent tour operators were as expensive or more than the ship . In the Caribbean we always book our own non ship ones.