• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Disappointing Destination

Acrooze

Deckhand
Was anyone else disappointed by their trip to the Bahamas? My S.O. and I found this country to be poor in the town areas and over-hyped in general. This seems to be a common theme with islands famous for their tourism.

Ally

Deckhand
I hated Nassau....couldn't stand the place at all.

Not so much cos of the poverty (although that is usually off putting to many), I found it to be too "fake"...no real character, no real history.

My own thought on this is cos so many of the Caribbean ports, in particular, have been bought by the cruise lines and they build terminals and malls purely to gain revenue from passengers...but at the cost of local economy, culture and history.

Gabriella

Deckhand
I haven't been on a Bahamas cruise for this reason. I live in Florida so I know a lot of people who have taken a 3 day cruise out to the islands and they almost all say it's not worth it.

L

lancashire lass

I have been to Nassau a few times and I do not care for it. On our first visit in 1978 I found it to be more authentic and cleaner. Not a place I would choose to explore further.

Capricruiser

Deckhand
One of the reasons that Caribbean cruises don't appeal to me is that a beautiful island is no different from another beautiful island. They're fine for sea and sun but that's about all. There are little if any cultural attractions and zero history.

Grumpy100

Deckhand
I have not been to the Bahamas since my first cruise on Costa back in 1973 (when the dinasours roamed the land) and I liked it then. Did a little gambling and that was it.
We are going back on RCL in November on Allure of the Seas as one of our ports along with St. Martin and St. Thomas but mostly going just for the ship with our friends. Close to home yet getting away.:dancing_banana::dancing_banana:

L

lancashire lass

I have to agree with Chuck on his take on the Caribbean. St Martin and Aruba in my opinion are fine, but the caribbean is closest for us and so we go to just enjoy the sun:)
I wish I lived closer to the Med.

haroldwilliams

Deckhand
I really would like to see the cruise lines be more imaginative in their choice of ports especially in the Bahamas. Many of the other islands in the Bahamas are more interesting. Seems like Nassau could really improve their zoo and botantical gardens.

Aruba, as mentioned, is nice, and San Juan is historical. Even Bimini is better than Freeport. Nassau seems like it is always `under construction`.:(

L

lancashire lass

I do think Nassau was much nicer in the seventies when they had the authentic straw market right beside the dock. Not as much traffic and easily walkable. on our first trip we even walked over to Paradise Island. The ship stayed in dock overnight and we enjoyed a great show { booked on board} at a night club in the big hotel. Very good memories of Nassau for that visit.

Adrian

Deckhand
I've never been to the Bahamas, but I don't know anyone that has vacationed there that enjoyed it. Everyone said the Bahamas were overrated, too "touristy" and that in the end, they felt like they'd overpaid for the trip. :-\

Mrslinarcos

Deckhand
The islands I've been to in the past, Bahamas, Nevis, St. Kitts, USVI, St. Lucia, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Roatan and such are wonderful. I don't have too much trouble with them, except maybe Jamaica; I wouldn't want to walk that island by myself. Other than that, I miss cruising to them. You never know what you had until you lose it.

L

lancashire lass

I wish I could give you a hug Deb and as I can't in person consider a virtual one :) You have had some wonderful cruises on great ships and I am sure you have happy memories of those times to and so they are never really gone. Your words are so very true.

Mrslinarcos

Deckhand
Awe, thank you. A virtual hug is just fine Kathy. I have a lot of happy memories and I'm glad I was able to capture them on film and they bring back happiness to me in a good way. When I look at the photos and think, WOW...I've been on this ship; I'm more humbled by each experience.
There's nothing like watching the waters in the Caribbean change once the sun comes up, so many different hues of green, aquas and blues. Meeting people from all over the world and you look at life in one way...it's just awesome.
:) :) :) :)
(((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))) to you Kathy.

L

lancashire lass

Very true and it is such a wonderful thing to be able to connect with people of all nations and get to know what makes us all equal. Cruising and travel can do wonders for promoting world peace.

haroldwilliams

Deckhand
I agree with you lancashire lass, Nassau was better when there were overnight cruises. I believe the straw market got demolished at one time lately by a hurricane, and when I was there last, they were planning on a move to another building.

Another draw back is that the `free beach` on Paradise Is. is a pretty good walk from where the water taxi`s come in, and not marked. Some folks do not want to pay the high price for Atlantis if they are only going to the beach.

If they had more dock space for smaller vessels it might help to have longer stays, They may think they have enough space, but I wonder. It seems Bimini has been all but forgotten.
harold

Geologger

Deckhand
We've cruised many parts of the world and have travelled just about everywhere in the Caribbean (loved every moment of it!), but never to the Bahamas. So...., we're going to be in central Florida in April and, while there, will take the opportunity for a four night cruise from Port Canaveral to Freeport and Nassau via Carnival, a line we've never travelled on. Will let you know what we think. Just being at sea is great!