• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

COSTA's CEO Pier Luigi Foschi to leave soon

Cruisefan

Deckhand
Not confrimed as yet, but an Italian Blog, which is run by former Costa employye said today, that Foschi will retire and be replaced by German Michael Thamm who is President of AIDA Cruises. that sounds strange, immediate my question, what will happen to preisdent Gianni Onorato? Will he leave Costa lltogether and head their owned Travel Agency chain which they urchased 2 years ago? thamm is a very quite, introvert person, soft spoken, seems almost shy. he is by background a beancounter. whether he will be happy in genova Costas Palazzo, is hard to envision. But perhaps he can manage the company by Skype from his office in Rostock? In any event we should know more shortly. My requst for clarification by my friends in genoa "mumm is the word" I'm told....
Happy weekend
CruiseFan.
Michael_Thamm.JPG
bari_00301.jpg

G.M.T.

Deckhand
Wow, that is news. looks like the American Godfather Don Mickey A. had a hand in making the decision.

I think if it was an Italian job, then an Italian would have got the job. Will be interesting to see, what Thamm will do, either completely remodel Costa aka Aida or just make it more efficent.

Foschi can be thankful in that he wasn't removed in one of the following ways:

Godfather Assassinations - YouTube

Cruisefan

Deckhand
And why may that be? also has any of the esteemed listers here experienced an AIDA cruise?
Mr. Foschi was an elevator man, had never before any management responsibilities at a Travel Company, let alone a shippping Company. His job was to oversee branding, amrketing and financial success of the brand. Same with Michael Thamm, he was given a task to establish a new brand of cruising. the concept was CLUBS, as in ClubMed. with the intention to lure a younger crow and families to cruising. This they managed, granted after a few slow years and not really taking off until P&O had bought them out and invested heaily in advertising. By the way, at the beginning there was a Troika of Execs. responsible, one of them was Richard J. Vogel who has set up TUI CRUISES MEIN SCHIFF and is doing very well there thank you Mam!
There is not bad cruise line, as there is no bad meal. It's what you want, what you expect. Good or bad is in most cases highly subjective. no??
CruiseFan
PS
I know AIDA well, I believe they execute their game plan well, would I sail with them? No Sir, not my cup of ship LOL

sidari

Deckhand
In February we travelled on the NCL Jade and one of our fellow cruisers was a well cruised German who has been on Aida and Mein Schiff as well as other cruise lines! he told us he would never sail on Aida ever again because they were worse in some ways than Carnival with people refusing to leave the MDR after eating their meal due to the Free drinks which are served and which then prevented later Diners getting seating!(just one of his complaints)

He prefers Mein Schiff to Aida and my comments were made based upon his sailing experience with both lines.

Cruisefan

Deckhand
OK, pasing on comments from one disgrundelt passenger is highly condusive. To compare AIDA with mein Schiff is like comparing a summer camp with the Waldorf Astoria! it is true that at peak times it is difficult to find a dining spot as drinks are free at the eaieries, wheres at the bar one needs to pay. But it is also a problem of the German mentality to rush into the Restaurant as soon as the oors open, with mayn waiting 20 minutes before the opening time. why not arrive 10 minutes before closing like the Italians do???? Aida on their Phoenix-class vessels has a large pay restaurant where for a marginal fee you get a culinary 8-course lunch/dinner served. The free of charge - all Buffet Restaurants - have a huge variety of food, ethnic from many corners of the world, beautiully displayed on several "islands". No, I am not defending them at all, nor do I work or have worked for them, do't get me wrong pelase. My objective is only that to critize other cruise lines, is not fair. By the way AIDA is highly rated in germany, Austria and Switzerland as giving good value for money and they carry each year over 1 million guests, with a new ship being introduced in May of Phinx Class one more in 2013 and two 135.000 GRT ships in 1014/15 build in Japan.
OK, thats nuff
Happy Crusing
CruiseFan

sidari

Deckhand
I think it is fair for a German cruiser to make his comments and complaints regarding a German cruise line albeit owned by Carnival, i personally would not like to see Costa be run in the way Aida is and that the CEO of an Italian company should be Italian.

G.M.T.

Deckhand
I personally would not like Costa to become an Italian veriosn of Aida. I just love eating in the MDR and being served my mea, taking my time, meeting the same passengers at meal times, the international flair of Costa and not having a guessing game as to who my dinner partners will be today. So leaving the ships alone C'mon just say it I'm old fashion - correct.

What I would to see is the management and back office becoming more forth coming with information and much more efficent. A personal experience (very recently), I booked , 2 days after it appeared on Costa web site, Costa Atlantica Singapore to Shanghai 2nd. May 2013. Made the booking and paid the deposit, cruise appeared next day in "My Costa" portal, everything fine.

Last wednesday, I went to update Online Embarkation details it was showing that I was sailing on the Atlantica Dubia to Singapore 12th. April 2013 and a totally different cabin. Costa Germany will not discuss a cruise that has been booked via a TA. So on the phone to my TA, they were still showing my originally booked cruise, they phoned Costa and got back to me within 15 minutes saying that "Costa could not say anything about the cruise, if my bokking was cocked up or something more general".

48 hours later my TA got an answer from Costa saying the cruise had been cancelled (no reason given) and that they had rebooked me on the Dubai - Singapore cruise and if they didn't hear from by Wednesday 25th. April then they would take my silence as being confirmation that I wanted the rebooked cruise. If I had been away then it would have been a fight to get my deposit back and cancel the cruise.

I dread dealing with Costa right up until I board the ship, then I can live with the Italian chaos.:cool:

Waiting confirmation of new cruise.

Cruisefan

Deckhand
Rest assured, if indeed thamm will take the helm at COSTA he will not change the BRAND. far from it, he has poven to be an excellent executioner of set goals. and why should he..what he will change is management style, no more fraternisation, promotion only becuase luigis fatehr was a friend of so and so and Donatella is so cute lets make her the cruise director hahahaha. there are a few austrians and germans in high position s at the ofice where it matters, so is the head of the purchasing and logistic company a german (who speaks fluent italian) two german ladies in the food and beverage department, and not to forget Vice preisdent ships operation manfred ursprunger. So yur chaos at embarkation and life boat drills shall remain the same hahahah
CruiseFan

L

lancashire lass

I am thinking to try Costa next year. I would imagine no cruiseline is perfect but looking at the itineries they seem to have a wide choice. I will be picking the brains of our members here whenever I take the plunge:)

L

lancashire lass

Is Liverpool going to be a go? You know I am still mulling over the Jade for Nov or Dec this year but I wonder if we should take a chance on the middle east being peaceful !!

sidari

Deckhand
Ron ... where did you get that pic LOL.

Kathy ... work is already underway on Liverpools turnaround building with the Ocean Countess the old Cunard Countess being the first ship to use it at the end of May! just need to get a few big ships turning round there now, i believe that Fred Olsen will be making a return to Liverpool next year as well.

L

lancashire lass

Thanks Dave for that info. Might get a quick trip to Bolton for my Brothers birthday in July will take in Liverpool as well :)
Flying the flag today . Neil sailed from Liverpool to here on this day 49 yrs ago:bigeek: