• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Costa Cruises To Cruise From Australia !

Neil

Deckhand
It has been announced from Australia that the Italian cruises company Costa Cruises will have the Costa Deliziosa offering some cruises in 2012.

During the 2012 - 2013 season she will be joined by the Costa Cruises ship Costa newRomantica.

Costa newRomantica will start most of her cruises from Melbourne which is where nearly half of the Italian population in Australia now live !

These will be the first regular cruises operated from Australia by an Italian cruising company since the days of Sitmar Cruises having ships based in Australia.

jonad

Deckhand
Thats good news for us Aussies who won't have to travel to Singapore or even Europe as we have just done, for a cruise.
A couple of weeks ago on the Mediterranea I was told the Deliziosa is coming to Australia in February 2012 on its world cruise, actually in Fremantle (Perth) on the 27th Feb and we will be taking a drive to see her.
Will there be other cruises besides that one? Sounds like there will be from your comment.

Neil

Deckhand
It was great to see this news as the last Italian company I remember operating regular cruises from Australia was ' Sitmar Cruises '.

In the 1970's and 80's they operated some rather old cruise ships on cruises around the pacific islands from Sydney.

One of them, which was sold as the ' Fun Ship Fairstar ', was built in 1957 as the British troop ship Oxfordshire and converted into a cruise ship about 1964.

She was retired in 1997 after 40 years in service.

Although the company was bought by P & O Cruises about 1988 they continued to operate the ships with their usual Italian staff.

Company postcard of the ' Fairstar ' her below -
05.12 FAIRSTAR.jpg

jonad

Deckhand
In the 1970's the Guglielmo Marconi and Galileo Galilei visited Australia, usually travelling just to and from Europe. I was on the Marconi in 1974 from Fremantle to Italy.

Funny you should mention Fairstar The fun Ship as that was the first cruise we took our kids on in about 1994 (?) cruising the Pacific Islands. It was a lot of fun, though ships have changed a lot since then!

Neil

Deckhand
Hi

I agree there was some other companies operating line voyages to Australia.

Some really old ' tubs ' were used in the 1950's and 1960's, which were on the immigration voyages to Australia, and packed the passengers in like sardines in a tin . :eek:

Details and pictures of some of those ships are listed in the index on the Australian run ' ss maritime ' website which is operated by an old friend of mine.

Matey

Deckhand
So, does this mean that the cruises will be from Australia to Italy? Or just that it's an Italian company? If so, that's a nice long cruise!

jonad

Deckhand
Neil,
I think the Marconi and Galilei were part of the Lloyd Triestino Lines from memory, but I could very well be wrong.

Others were the Achille and Angelina Lauro, which brought many immigrants to Australia...and yes packed them in. Ships were then just a mode of transport, not the luxury holiday vessels they are now.

When my mother in law came to Australia in the 1950's there were about 16 in a dormitory and she still has those memories and can't understand why we like cruising so much....:laughalot: