• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Costa Concordia aground!

L

lancashire lass

Lets hope all goes as planned and I so hope they find the other two bodies.

sidari

Deckhand
It seems that from a meeting held yesterday on Giglio the Concordia will be put into a floatation cocoon! and towed away to the shipyard! if the translation is correct.

It sounds like concordia will be suspended between floating caissons on either side of the ship after the hole has been patched up and then towed to a shipyard from the report below.

sidari

Deckhand
The wreck could be removed within the next month of January / February. This is what emerged from the meeting today in the Isola del Giglio which the Government Commissioner Gabrielli, AD Foschi, Costa Cruises and Admiral Tortora gave citizens the islanders first summary information on the proposed removal of the wreck of the Costa Concordia presented by the Italian-American Consortium Micoperi-Titan.

The conditional is obviously a must at least until, in the coming days, will be formally signed contracts with two companies specialized in the field that they will cooperate in the project to 50%, specificity of each in its field.
It 'was selected to the proposal more expensive but at the same time provides the best guarantees in terms of reliability and success. It will be a game worth 300 million dollars that will take the path already in the month of June when the relevant Italian institutions have provided, in the Conference Services, the relevant and necessary authorizations.

Those present at the meeting were shown a short video explanation of the removal project that we hope to publish in the coming days, once the designation will be formalized.

In a nutshell, the project includes a concrete piling on the water (or that will emerge in a little way) between the ship and the mainland that serve to ensure the stability and anchoring of the ship. This will be the first intervention in terms of time will be started as soon as installed on site.

Then we will proceed to the installation of a false bottom on the left side via removable diving platforms that will rest on steel poles and which will form the future base of the wreck.

Subsequently or simultaneously with the creation of platforms will be installed caissons entire left side of the ship that will be fixed with hydraulic jacks to the diving platforms. Through the jacks you can turn the ship through the gradual shifting and millimetric. The caissons at the same time the structure will ensure that regardless of buoyancy so the condition of the hull.

Once straightened the ship will proceed to the installation of the same type of cells floating on the starboard. Positioned so the entire structure of external buoyancy can tow the boat to the port of destination.

Where it will impact on the seabed with piles it will be the contracting consortium restore marine habitat monitoring the situation existing in a span that reaches even up to 2018.

The site will employ a minimum of 50 to a maximum of 100 people that will be hosted on independent platforms or in the hotel accommodation on the island according to the needs of tourist accommodation. The resources used in operations will be based at the nearest port facilities, or to Civitavecchia.

Our port, they assured everyone, will not be affected by the operations and all activities will be carried out independently without affecting the transit of ferries and pleasure craft

Take it with a margin of error had just explained everything. We will be more precise in the next day when we will be holding the cards and documents

Mrslinarcos

Deckhand
We should be seeing something happening there pretty soon. I can't wait to see how this will be done. In the meantime, it would be even better if they could find the two remaining bodies onboard before it's moved.

L

lancashire lass

That's my hope to Deb. I have a feeling they are on board.

Mrslinarcos

Deckhand
I'm Seeing A Starboard Leak in the Webcam

I have a feeling the ship has shifted just enough that a breach has occurred on the Starboard side:
CONCORDIA Leak.jpg

Ally

Deckhand
We have at least one "pax" on board Classica that is actually a journalist out to get as much gossip as he can about the accident...and the crew's participation in what happened and its aftermath.

From what I can gather there have been many of these "pax" on cruises...the one I know about is a German whi speaks good English, he has been very manipulative in ways that only a press hack would be, namely talking to crew...mainly lower end crew such as waitstaff...and lulling them into a false sense of security before launching probing questions about the more private side to life of certain crew aboard Concordia.

It is NOT pleasant to see and certainly very difficult to stop from happening...and those who have been approached by this man have often been left somewhat stunned and upset.

I am watching this individual closely and have alerted the senior crew who in turn are also monitoring his behaviour.

Cruisefan

Deckhand
..maybe we weill read later on ....pax falling from balcony...rescue efforts were unfurtunatel unsuccsessful....LOL
bloody germans..i remember the series Faulty Towers with jOhn Cleese "who started it"???
happy cruising
how do you like the hords at the lido Buffet early morning before disembarkation at ports of call....a horrible "affair".
CruiseFan

L

lancashire lass

Ally once you have him in your sights he won't learn much:)
I would imagine the staff are upset to have someone poking about but I guess thats how Journalists get their "stories"

Boy Blue

Deckhand
On our recent cruise, I had a good bartender :eek:, whos wife was a cocktail waitress, she told me he had been on the Concordia that night, he never mentioned it, and I would never have asked him about it.

Why will people do anything for a story.

Ally hope you are having a wonderful time, I have still got the post cruise blues, it will not go away.

Mel :dancing_banana:

L

lancashire lass

Well if all goes as planned it will be a feat. I wonder if they will find the last two bodies ? it doesn't seem likely does it ? I hope the work goes smoothly and that all workers will be safe.

Ally

Deckhand
Not surprised by that Dave.....it has been a bit of a three ring circus and afterall said and done, the islanders would quite like their island back to normal asap.....its easy to forget the impact the accident had on them too and will continue to have on them til the wreck is removed.