• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Costa Concordia aground!

Ally

Deckhand
BBC News - Italy cruise ship Costa Concordia aground near Giglio

I have friends who are crew on her currently...just hoping that everyone is OK...makes me think it could be connected to Spendor since she was meant to be Concordia's sister before she got shifted to Carnival. Can't help but wonder if Concordia suffered a similar fire first...all lights went out etc just like Splendor and losing power would make her drift too....

Sincere condolences to everyone who has lost friends & relatives...:(

Ally

Deckhand
Statement from Cista website : (company's own translation from Italian to English)

Saturday, January 14th

Time 5.00 am
It is a tragedy that deeply affects our company. Our first thoughts go to the victims and we would like to express our condolences and our closeness to their families and friends. In this moment all our efforts are focused on the completion of the last emergency operations, besides providing assistance to the guests and the crew who were onboard in order to have them going back home as soon as possible. The emergency procedures started promptly to evacuate the ship. The slope, gradually taken over by the ship, made the evacuation extremely difficult. We would like to express our profound gratitude to the Coast Guard and all the forces co-ordinated by the Coast Guard, including the authorities and citizens of the island “Isola del Giglio”, who have been involved in the rescue and assistance to guests and crew members. The company will fully co-operate with the relevant Authorities in order to determine the causes of what happened.

Time 1.00 am
Costa Cruises confirms the evacuation of about 3,200 passengers and 1,000 crew members on board of the Costa Concordia. An incident occured near the island 'Isola del Giglio' of the coast of Italy. The evacuation started promptly, but the position of the ship has worsened, making it more complicated to complete the last part of the evacuation. At this moment, the cause of the incident cannot yet be confirmed. The Company is currently working with the highest commitment to provide all the needed assistance. The Costa Concordia was sailing across the Mediterranean Sea, starting from Civitavecchia with scheduled calls to Savona, Marseille, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Cagliari and Palermo. About 1.000 passengers of Italian nationality were onboard, as well as more of 500 Germans, about 160 French and about 1.000 crew members.

The Guests had to embark today in Savona and in subsequent ports will be contacted directly by Costa Cruises.

hilifta

Deckhand
Have just seen on TV here that the Concordia has capsized right off the port. The water is shallow as about a third of the hull is above water. But she is completely on her side.

Ally

Deckhand
I believe that one of our members may have been aboard Concordia last night....hoping that she & her family are safe & well :eek:

From media reports its appears that the Captain may have purposely tried to get the ship close to shore to enable easier evacuation. Obviously speculation but it does seem plausible given the route they were taking at the time and if the ship suffered something like Carnival Splendor did off Mexico...Splendor being an almost exact twin in design & build to Concordia, infact the two ships were destined to be Costa, only at the last moment Splendor was transferred to Carnival just before completion.

As to salvage or refloat, its way too early to say......

tjandluke

Deckhand
What a shock to come on line and read this. We have just arrived home but as far as I know it has not yet made the news in Australia.

Thoughts and prayers are going out to all those that are involved.

CJSheldon

Deckhand
A live webcam in Giglio showing the Costa Concordia on her side.

It has taken me about half an hour to access the webcam.

It is an absolutely terrible tragedy... hard to believe that it is real.
isoladelgiglio_porto.jpg

tjandluke

Deckhand
After looking at a picture like that- I am shocked and amazed. The crew have made a super human effort that to get that number of people off a ship that was so badly damaged.

Ally

Deckhand
It brings home the importance of muster drills...people often whine about them being a waste of time and, especially with Costa, why the drill is repeated every 7 days regardless of length of cruise, on my cruise in 2010 aboard Costa Allegra we drilled 6 times, aboard Costa Victoria last year we drilled 3 times...Costa are the only line that I know of who carry out drills exactly to the letter of IMO and RINA standard.

Had the weather been worse and the ship been further away from land, I do not want to even think about the casualty numbers....no death is good for anyone, but I fear that it could have been alot worse. Kudos to her captain & crew and to the people & authorities of Giglio who acted so quickly and who are now looking after those who are safe.

I hate saying this right now, but after this, I truly hope that cruise ship architects go down in size instead of building ever bigger ships....that is my wish & my opinion :eek:

tjandluke

Deckhand
Thanks- so she is a biggie then! I have never really looked at her too much as she has never been near the areas that we cruise- and I have a preference for smaller ships.

Cruisefan

Deckhand
Hello,
the big million dollar question is why the crew steered a course which is way off the normal path. A repair is technically of course possible and a boon for Fincantieri which is near clsoing two yards and making thousands of workers redundant due to lack of follow-up newbuild orders. Mickey, Carnivals CEO and Foschi CEO Costa will not be too happy as it will eat intor their profit and subsequent Bonuses! Here a short ideo off the sunken vessel watch here>>>>
Cruisefan
CostaConcordia_schräglage.jpg

Ally

Deckhand
Cruisefan...I am wondering if due to the electrical fault, the captain purposely steered her towards land, to enable slightly easier evacuation?

It will come out in the end, obviously, but this really feels like a repeat of Carnival Splendor but several steps worse.....electrical failure, all lights out, drifting then in this case a sandbar to rest on.

If it was done on purpose...the sandbar, that is...then it was a good move surely since almost everyone accounted for?

Cruisefan

Deckhand
Ally,
yes, the Captain did the most sensible thing by steering towards shore. however the fault was NOT the electrical failure - which I can't see as she was all lit up when the pictures of her resting at the harbor entrance - the fault was that before she hit the bottom, she was sailing at a curse not usually taken and Costa claims that the depth (rock/sand what ever) was not shown in the charts. Why on earth do yoou diviate from a normal course? A lot of questions will and shall be asked no doubt.
Cruisefan

Ally

Deckhand
he reports from passengers said that all lights & power went out before a lound booming noise...followed by a scraping sound....it could be also possible that the bridge realised a problem existed and made for shore without realising that her bottom could be removed in the process :idontknow:

It will all come out once she is righted and taken to a drydock...either Genoa or Palermo maybe....

The thing is that they got the majority off the ship unharmed...the death toll has been scaled back to 3 plus 14 injured, when you consider she had 3200 passengers and 1000 crew....its a bloody miracle that not more were lost or hurt.

As bad as it is, it could have been so very much worse....