• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Classism making a comeback on cruise ships - true or false?

alphakitty

Deckhand
I think it's right. Even in my few short years of cruising, I've seen the "pay extra for extra amenities" trend grow. As a "steerage" class passenger, it really doesn't bother me though. I feel it gives me the opportunity to travel on a budget. We can choose to pay extra for things like a cabana, or better restaurant, or not. I like having options and choices. Most of these extra pay options are still open to all passengers, no matter what cabin you stay in.

If you get extra options for staying in a suite, then more power to you, I'm still on the ship and I'm still traveling to the same places. :)

L

lancashire lass

I think the article is correct. Adding the dining options, early boarding, disembarking, separate waiting areas etc are the way most cruise lines are looking to rake in the profits.
That said if I ever get to the stage that I find the changes impact my cruises negatively then I will be very careful which cruise line gets my money.:)

Ontariotrekker

Deckhand
My main concerns when I book a cruise is the itinerary and will I have reasonably comfortable cabin. I'm not a foody or a wine expert so I'm not going to pay extra for a 'high-end experience' when standard fare is fine by me. Having said that, have I experienced bad behavour from cabin snobs, you betcha!

dizzy1948

Deckhand
Doesn't matter how much you pay for a cruise - "top end" or "steerage" it all boils down to good manners, politeness and respect for fellow human beings, be they Captain or cabin steward - and fellow cruisers, upstairs or downstairs, everyone deserves the same courtesy and respect.
I am not banging a drum here, I just don't go on holiday worrying about this type of thing. I pays me money, I takes me chances.........and always enjoy myself..............and who ever has come up with this "class" thing - needs to get a proper job - and write about something interesting. (Yep, suppose that is banging a drum :bigeek:)

L

lancashire lass

Dizzy, I think the authors take on the chat with Adam G was the fact that many cruise lines are now attempting to get cruisers to buy into the cache of perks for pay. Special dining privileges, early boarding, reserved seating in the Theatres and pools etc.
It is always up to each cruiser what they will accept.:)

dizzy1948

Deckhand
Hey Kathy, I eventually said I was banging a drum.:embarrassed: That'll teach me to read louder in future. :hoh: Though I must say if that's the case - how can that be a "class" thing? (A Lancashire lass here causing trouble - me not you Kathy) Surely that's down to personal choices, and nothing to do with "class". Pampering yourself, going OTT on your holiday - well why not?. Though Cruise lines seem to be slowly sneaking these little "luxury" things in one at a time - they seem to be going back in time to "captive" audiences. The buffet on Costa for example has all but disappeared in the evening. The afternoon tea is dwindling so that you need to go to the dining room to eat at dinner. Reducing "freedom of choice" Do you think perhaps I should shut up while I'm ahead? :bawling:
If I'm ahead that is....think not...though I did eventually read the article......it's called "snobbery" with a kerchink kerchink kerchink ring to it for cruise lines.

L

lancashire lass

Hi Liz You are definitely not causing trouble you are expressing your reaction to the article and that is great.:)
I understand that the lines need to make money on Extras and those that want to and have the cash will choose yay or nay. You make some very valid points and that's was makes a good conversation in my book.

Adrian

Deckhand
If you get extra options for staying in a suite, then more power to you, I'm still on the ship and I'm still traveling to the same places. :)
I loved this! It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing excursion, and it certainly doesn't have to be about keeping up with the Jones's, so to speak.

As for the classism, I haven't been on a cruise yet so I can't say from firsthand experience, but it wouldn't surprise me.

L

lancashire lass

I loved this! It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing excursion, and it certainly doesn't have to be about keeping up with the Jones's, so to speak.

As for the classism, I haven't been on a cruise yet so I can't say from firsthand experience, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Adrian. I think the authors used the word classism to stir the pot. I know people have special suites and perks come with that but on most any cruise right now you will not experience any form of snobbery unless people are rude and give out they have an elitist view of cruising because of their preferred accommodations. :hoh:
I hope you will be able to find a great cruise when you do decide to get on board, there are lots to choose from.:)