• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brooklyn cruise terminal?

bob brown

Deckhand
Does any one know when the Carnival move to Brooklyn will occur?
Does this include all Carnival Corp. lines? Who will still use the New York cruise terminal while it's being renovated? NCL? Raddison? Crystal? And when the renovation is completed, will any move back to NY? I guess RCI will stay at Cape Liberty permanently.

bdacruiser

Deckhand
Indeed She Will!

According to CND, QM2 will sail from Red Hook April 15, 2006 on its first crossing of the season.

Crown Princess is slated to make the Princess debut out of Brooklyn when she embarks on a season of Caribbean sailings during the summer of '06.

From what we understand, the only Carnival brands to set sail from Brooklyn in 2006 will be Cunard and Princess. :) :)

The Brooklyn facilities, when completed, will be a destination for area residents who may wish to dine, shop, and enjoy the skyline regardless of whether ships are in port or not. Indeed, the port is being designed to accommodate LARGE ships.

Meanwhile, the mid-town port facilities are to be up-graded to keep other companies from "jumping ship". NCL will continue its association with mid-town, as will all other lines not in a contract to re-locate.... Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are enjoying prosperity across the harbor, and slightly south, at Cape Liberty (Bayonne, New Jersey) where passengers applaud ease of parking, embarkation and egress. :dancer: :clap:

bob brown

Deckhand
thanks, Greg and Dobbs! that answers most of my questions.
Cape Liberty may be convenient for some, but not for those of us on Long Island. I still haven't decided whether to drive across two rivers and Manhattan, and pay for twelve nights parking; or take a car service each way for my upcoming cruise (17 Oct Constellation). :?

bdacruiser

Deckhand
Bob, We Share Your Concerns...

---it takes us 1:20 to get from Long Island's Nassau County North Shore to Cape Liberty, about 5-8 minutes longer than it took us to get to Mid-town, Manhattan. The trip back is about the same time, though from Manhattan it often took 1:30. The limo drop off & pick up at Cape Liberty is much easier than at Mid-town, however, and this is where you'll save time. We haven't driven to Cape Liberty, but the facility appears well-organized and we feel you'd be pleased either driving yourselves or hiring a car. Simply get quotes from a couple good limo companies and compare the $12 daily parking, toll [one-way E-Z Pass Verrazano assessment is $9.00 & we don't recall if there's a toll for the Bayonne Bridge], gas [yikes! that's 150.00!! ;) :whew: :dancer: ], and wear & tear on the car with what the car service would cost... Incidentally, you may wish to consider using the Van Wyck/Belt Parkway/Verrazano Narrows Bridge route rather than crossing Manhattan... The Bayonne Bridge turn-off comes up on Staten Island fairly quickly!

We use a limo simply because we like to start our "vacation" early. :green: :joy: "Work Hard, Play Hard."

From Queens, the limo fare should be fairly reasonable, Bob.

bob brown

Deckhand
My last cruise from the NY cruise terminal cost me $28.00 plus tip to get home in a NYC yellow taxi.
I checked with two different car services to Cape Liberty from home was $75. or $80. plus tolls and tip one way.
Figure about $200. round trip.
Driving round trip via Williamsburgh Bridge (free), and Holland Tunnel ($5. only collected eastbound), would be the shortest route; added to the $144. for twelve days parking, and about $4. in fuel would be more economical--figure about $153.
On the other hand, even though I love to drive myself, it might be worth the extra $50. not to leave my car exposed out in the lot for 12 days. :?

bdacruiser

Deckhand
:green: :clap: You're on the right track, Bob. ;) It's your vacation! Plus (cough!) the "Mrs" gets to enjoy some stress-free road time --- complete with a pre-mixed container of morning "adult beverages" to commemorate the occasion. :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: