• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brilliance o/t Seas - new evidence probed in 2005 Smith disappearance case

middy

Deckhand
I'm really no good on legal matters but what has always confused me is why the cruiseline was expected to give a settlement. Whether he fell or was assisted don't think the balcony was faulty. So why the payout.
If I went on holiday and fell from a balcony in a hotel would the hotel give me a payment? Any people in the legal profession help me out here. :)

flacruiser

Deckhand
I'm really no good on legal matters but what has always confused me is why the cruiseline was expected to give a settlement. Whether he fell or was assisted don't think the balcony was faulty. So why the payout.
If I went on holiday and fell from a balcony in a hotel would the hotel give me a payment? Any people in the legal profession help me out here. :)
A greedy family, a greedy lawyer, and deep pockets.

Ally

Deckhand
Hagel-Smith's father certainly should not have gone to the press, that was absolutely wrong.

I feel for the Smith family on this, they lost a son and really have not had the time to grieve for him. Something about Hagel-Smith's story just doesn't ring right...and after watching the documentary about this case, the whole episode leading up to the loss of George Smith and what happened afterwards leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

George's family need to know what happened to their son and I don't think they will ever know completely and that is heartbreaking for them. It is little wonder that they have tried to fight Jennifer Hagel-Smith in the courts...she has left them few other options in finding the truth about their son and his disappearance.

Ally

Deckhand
Was the documentary the 48 hours show?
Yes, it was shown a few times here in the UK a couple of months ago. The footage from the video camera of the discussions with the Turkish authorities were an eye-opener, as was the photo of the staining above the lifeboat too.

Alot of times we 'public' don't get to see much detail apart from what the authorities want us to see or hear. I certainly found the documentary fascinating and it gave a new perspective of the whole story.

My own personal thoughts even before the documentary were that something did not feel right about this tragedy...one of those times when you know something isn't right, but you just can't put your finger on what it is.

Ally

Deckhand
This tragic story has been subject to many TV documentaries, FBI and authoritiy investigations both in the US and in Turkey but although there has been plenty of suspicion and speculation, no-one has found the truth about that night aboard Brilliance o/t Seas in 2005 when George Smith IV vanished from his balcony cabin off Turkey......

New details in Greenwich man

Whether the new evidence leads the family anythere is yet to be seen, its always incredibly sad when something like this happens and sometimes the answers that family & friends need cannot be found....