• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brilliance o/t Seas - new evidence probed in 2005 Smith disappearance case

Ally

Deckhand
Oh I think that is guaranteed, although I wonder if it will be a mystery or murder-mystery story?

I would bet on it being a murder-mystery, especially as so few things actually fit together and Hagel-Smith changed her story more times than most people change their undies.

gottabecruisin

Deckhand
Oh I think that is guaranteed, although I wonder if it will be a mystery or murder-mystery story?

I would bet on it being a murder-mystery, especially as so few things actually fit together and Hagel-Smith changed her story more times than most people change their undies.

oh never thought of it as a murder mystery/ suspense........ Good thinking

Ally

Deckhand
Murder on a cruise ship is the perfect murder in many ways, Lisa. You can get rid of the body, the evidence and drink is so plentiful you can drink yourself an alibi so easily. Tell the authorities that you were propping up a bar all evening, who is going to say that you weren't? The barmen are usually rushed off their feet all evening, they won't have a clue who was there at any given time. You push someone over the rail at night, all you get is a splash...no-one is going to question that are they...you're at sea and splashes happen all the time...

gottabecruisin

Deckhand
Murder on a cruise ship is the perfect murder in many ways, Lisa. You can get rid of the body, the evidence and drink is so plentiful you can drink yourself an alibi so easily. Tell the authorities that you were propping up a bar all evening, who is going to say that you weren't? The barmen are usually rushed off their feet all evening, they won't have a clue who was there at any given time. You push someone over the rail at night, all you get is a splash...no-one is going to question that are they...you're at sea and splashes happen all the time...
sounds like you have experience :laughalot:

LOL

Ally

Deckhand
Not guilty....

When you are on your cruise, Lisa, go out onto the prom deck at night and listen...you will hear the splashes and seeing as a prom deck can be very quiet at night while people are watching a show or in the bars, you will soon realise just how easy it would be to get rid of someone...by the same token, if someone wants to commit suicide, its the perfect way to carry it out.

Stand by the rail, look down at the sea and it draws you downwards....

BoHunk

Deckhand
Of course we will miss you...and Karyn should immediately jump in to rescue you anyway ;)
Wow..wow.wow...lets take a minute to discuss this! First...how cold is the water and second...how far must the rescuer ahh...free fall to the stopping point? Then...shoudl I jump in to rescue Lisa....who is to call for help to turn the ship around? I can see some reasons to stay on the ship and assist Lisa in any way I can. I am sure she can float till the coast guard pick her up...you could see that lip gloss for miles..LOL!:laughalot:

gottabecruisin

Deckhand
Wow..wow.wow...lets take a minute to discuss this! First...how cold is the water and second...how far must the rescuer ahh...free fall to the stopping point? Then...shoudl I jump in to rescue Lisa....who is to call for help to turn the ship around? I can see some reasons to stay on the ship and assist Lisa in any way I can. I am sure she can float till the coast guard pick her up...you could see that lip gloss for miles..LOL!:laughalot:

Speaking of Lip gloss I went to the store to get some tonight and imagine my dismay to find out they are sold out...... I cant get any more..

And listen to Barb already collecting my million bucks.. News flash Dr. Barb I am worth more than that...:laughalot: Nt sure to who but I am !

BoHunk

Deckhand
Speaking of Lip gloss I went to the store to get some tonight and imagine my dismay to find out they are sold out...... I cant get any more..

And listen to Barb already collecting my million bucks.. News flash Dr. Barb I am worth more than that...:laughalot: Nt sure to who but I am !
No news flash to Dr. Barb but your way overpriced for used goods beyond warrantee....:laughalot: (possibly damaged after the Valor)

Ally

Deckhand
Smith family lawsuit against RCI dismissed by judge

A Miami court dismissed a lawsuit against Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. filed by the parents and sister of missing honeymooner George Smith. The suit was an amended version of a complaint dismissed in October.

The suit was dismissed with prejudice, which means it cannot be refiled. The Smith family’s attorney, Brett Rivkind, told the Associated Press he would appeal the decision.

‘For some time, we have said that a fair, accurate and objective review of the facts would clearly demonstrate that both their first and amended lawsuits were completely baseless,’ Royal Caribbean said in a statement. ‘We believe the court’s decision to dismiss both of the Smiths’ lawsuits – most recently with prejudice – upholds the validity of our position.’

The cruise operator said it would not be surprised if the suit is appealed but expressed confidence that the outcome will again be the same.

George Smith went missing from his honeymoon cruise in July 2005. His widow, Jennifer Hagel Smith, settled with Royal Caribbean for just over $1m.

Ally

Deckhand
Smith family challenges widow's $1 million deal

After nearly two years of behind-the-scenes legal wrangling, the stage is finally set for the Smith family’s bid to challenge Jennifer Hagel Smith’s $1-million settlement with Royal Caribbean cruise lines.

On Tuesday, March 4, Greenwich Probate Judge David W. Hopper will hear the case, which will mark a turning point in the highly publicized story, which started with a tragic cruise in the Aegean Sea. George Smith, a 26-year-old Greenwich man, went missing from his Royal Caribbean honeymoon cruise on July 5, 2005, after a commotion was heard in his cabin and bloodstains were found in his room and on the metal overhang below his balcony.

“This matter remains an open and active investigation by the U.S. attorney’s office and the FBI,” U.S. Attorney Kevin O’Connor said last week.

At the probate hearing, the Smith family will attempt to contest the $1-million settlement reached by Ms. Hagel Smith with Royal Caribbean on June 29, 2006. The settlement of Ms. Hagel Smith’s wrongful death suit against the cruise line is subject to the approval of Judge Hopper, who must determine if it is in the best interest of the estate.

Ms. Hagel Smith serves as administrator of Mr. Smith’s estate. The Smith family has said that Ms. Hagel Smith’s settlement was reached without their knowledge.

The Smiths had filed their own lawsuit against the Florida-based cruise line only a few hours before Ms. Hagel Smith and Royal Caribbean announced their proposed settlement. The Smith family’s lawsuit said the cruise line tried to cover up the suspicious circumstances of Mr. Smith’s disappearance to protect their public image.

“The cruise line deliberately and intentionally portrayed the incident as an accident, and hampered a full-blown, appropriate investigation into the facts and circumstances of George A. Smith’s death,” the family’s suit said.

The lawsuit, for intentional infliction of emotional distress and invasion of privacy, was dismissed by Miami, Fla., Judge Jon I. Gordon on Oct. 16, 2007, but the Smith family is appealing.

For the upcoming probate hearing, the Smith family is represented by attorneys Michael Jones and Donat Marchand of the Greenwich-based Ivey, Barnum and O’Mara law firm, and Gene Riccio of Greenwich and Bridgeport, while Ms. Hagel Smith’s lawyers are Douglas Brown of the Southport-based Brody Wilkinson PC, Elizabeth Byrne of Farrell, Guarino & Boccalatte PC in Middletown and James M. Walker of Walker & O’Neill PA in Miami.

“We hope this matter is resolved in a timely manner, and to the satisfaction of all the parties, so George Smith’s widow and family can finally find closure,” said Michael Sheehan, a spokesman for Royal Caribbean.

In Ms. Hagel Smith’s statement about her agreement with Royal Caribbean, she said she would settle out of court any wrongful death liability with the cruise line and that they would also provide shipboard information regarding her husband’s disappearance.

The high publicity surrounding the case drew scrutiny to the $34-billion-a-year cruise industry and led to the founding of a cruise victims advocacy group, International Cruise Victims (ICV), by Mr. Smith’s mother, Maureen, his father, George, and his sister, Bree. The group provides support for victims of cruise crimes throughout the world and attempts to raise awareness about the need for safety and transparency reforms on cruise ships.

The case also prompted U.S. Rep. Christopher Shays (R-4th) to hold congressional hearings on cruise ship security and draft a bill aimed at promoting greater transparency. A fourth round of hearings featuring the testimony of cruise crime victims and ICV members took place last fall.

Mr. Shays said the Smith case served as a watershed to highlight the need for reforms in the cruise industry, which reports crimes on a voluntary basis.

“After George Smith’s disappearance, we began to take a closer look at the cruise industry, and what we saw was an industry that is basically self-regulated,” he said. “The George Smith case opened our eyes to the arrogance of the cruise industry and to the potential for crimes or accidents on board cruise ships.”

The proposed legislation has drawn the support of U.S. Reps. Doris Matsui (D-Calif.), Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) and Elijah Cummings (D-Md.), and is progressing through the House, according to Mr. Shays.

“It has been discharged from all committees of jurisdiction and I am hopeful it will be considered on the House floor soon,” Mr. Shays said last week.

In the Senate, the issue has the backing of Sen. John Kerry, whose corresponding cruise ship safety bill is “in the final stages of being drafted and will be introduced soon,” according to Liz Richardson, Mr. Kerry’s deputy press secretary.

“This legislation is a matter of common sense,” Mr. Kerry said in an e-mailed statement sent by his press secretary. “We need clear rules for all cruise ships so we can improve security for the millions of Americans each year who take cruises. There are some simple steps that the industry can take to deal with crime on the high seas, but voluntary steps aren’t enough.”

Mr. Kerry wrote that he will be working with Mr. Shays on the effort.
Smith family challenges widow's $1 million deal

Ally

Deckhand
After watching the documentary about this case, I can understand the family appealing the probate case. However, I am not entirely sure that continuing the fight is healthy for the family, it has to be placing them under a huge amount of stress, that on top of the stress from losing their son in such a tragic way.

The documentary left so many unanswered questions, mainly surrounding Hagel-Smith's conduct/behaviour. Cases like these are always very sad for everyone involved, I hope that in this case, both sides of the equation can eventually find peace of mind.