• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Big U future still uncertain despite being in new ownership

Liz

Deckhand
OH GOD:green: COULD THIS BE TRUE:pray:

Have you seen the pictures of her, lately :cry:

No little wonder that NCL's financials do not look so good, what with ALL the new builds PLUS..Norway, and maintaining (to a degree), SS United States and Independence:shock: :confused:

Liz

Deckhand
am so totally discombobulated with different computer....NO bookmarks, of course:shock:

Did meet a principle of the SS United States Conservancy (this is the group that was working WITH NCL) about a year ago at a World SHip Society thing in NYC .....will have to see if I can figure out the home page and get his input

Liz

Deckhand
:shock: Actually, just since yesterday afternoon;) Borrowed a laptop from a friend, so I don't go completely bonkersssssss:shock: ......Think this will be quite a while before all back together again. Just PRAY that memory is intact in my computer

cclguy

Deckhand
Anyone have any insight on where NCL America would position the United States? I can't imagine them putting her in Hawaii, they have enough ships sailing that area of the world now. East Coast cruises would be nice!

Robert

egbert

Deckhand
I still believe it will be relocation cruise to Alang then. Makes no sense to refit an asbestos infested ship, strip it of all the old technology , requip it with modern stuff and still make money. A new ship is by far more cheaper.

Lancashirelad

Deckhand
I hope you are wrong egbert, but not seen anything about this anywhere else so not sure how reliable it is. Time will tell.

Marge

Deckhand
All of the asbestos has been removed. The ship is pretty much a shell right now. I hope that NCL follows through and brings her back to service.

Yorsk

Deckhand
United States has steam turbines -

The United States would need to be re-engined (heavy sigh) too...
The Norway was steam powered, and when she blew some high pressure pipes (killing several crew) it became clear that the talents & skill sets to run the old plants were pretty much gone worldwide, and maybe totally gone in the US . . . :duh:

egbert

Deckhand
..and thats most likely the area (engine room) which has not been cleared of asbestos- all the steam pipes need heavy insulation.

Yorsk

Deckhand
Thanks for the link(s)!
Great, yet sad, shots...
When the France was "saved" & converted, she was HUGE for her time. I think that her success played a large part in RCL's decision to build the Soverign of the Seas and introduce the 70,000 GRT ton class of newbuilds.
The United States does not enjoy that size advantage to help save her.

cclguy

Deckhand
Now I am depressed. I had my hopes up that I would see the United States sail again, I guess NCL will send her off to India.

Robert

Lancashirelad

Deckhand
I am sure if they did saver her, they would have no trouble filling her for every cruise. But the question boils down to costs -v- revenue, which ever is the higher lets hope they decide it's revenue.

cclguy

Deckhand
Stephen,

You are right, its all about the bottom line and NCL/Star has seen quite a bit of red ink lately.

Robert

Liz

Deckhand
Question regarding asbestos on the steam pipes......SO WHAT....as long is it is properly wrapped, should not be a problem!!!!! I have steam heat in my house and YES, the pipes are covered with asbestos (unwrapped) and I could frankly care less. Insulation in excellent shape, though....not in the least friable

Now, as far as finding people to properly operate the steam system:confused: