• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another Virus Outbreak

SarahB

Deckhand
Just read this on the BBC's news page....:eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5034096.stm

One of the things that really impressed me with Celebrity is how they take hygiene very seriously. There were hand sanitizers in all the restaurants, and you were given some to rub on your hands every time you came back on board the ship.

Dani

Deckhand
On the Princess Sapphire this April :

There are sanitzers that dispense at each entrance to the food buffet.

They also station a crew member beside it, to request that it is used.

Then upon going into the dining room each night. There was a waiter at each
door to spray your hands.

One time I went down middle and gave each one of my hands ! :D

They did chase anyone that tried to avoid them.

The small sanitzers have become part of our life. We each carry one.

Use them when we are out to eat, grocery store carts, movie theater, etc.

It seems to really help.

Everyone could help by hand washing after the LOO !

This ship was turned away from Portugal ( smart move ) but they were allowed to stop at Vigo.

Nowdays with so much talk of "Bird Flu " etc. , ships that have a large illness on board are going to be turned back by ports.

I don't know if each cruise a passenger brings it on board or if once it starts it stays on board running through the crew.

P.S. Note to myself. Next cruise pack surgical gloves to open doors, etc. :(

cclguy

Deckhand
What always amazes me is why people don't wash their hands after they use the bathroom. I always make sure I have my paper towel in my hand when I open the door to leave the bathroom cause I know some nasty person did not wash up when they were done and their nastyness is on the door handle.
I was on the Carnival Pride in January and noticed they had put little towels right next to the door for this purpose.

People should have listened to Mom, wash your hands when you are done. Now let me get off my soap box.

Robert

Dani

Deckhand
Robert,

I think we have to stay on our soapbox. :clap: People are not getting the message. :mad:

The next step for the cruiseline is to station people outside the public bathrooms and spray them when they come out.

Can't do much about them using their cabin loo but sure don't shake hands with anybody.

Next time I go to a Captain/Officers reception, believe I will wear lady-like white gloves.

Same thing on the plane to and from the cruise.

Those bathrooms have to be the worst !

Along with the idiot on board that decides to cough all trip and never into a kleenex.

It is no small accomplishment to get through a vacation and not get sick !

Lancashirelad

Deckhand
ReverendK said he had been told that is why Oriana and Sea Princess had switched docks in southampton last saturday. (See Bridge cam of the Day thread)
Last year on QE2 you had to sanitize your hands every time you got on the ship, before afternoon tea, every time you went into the dinning room and before meeting the captain. I dont know if all this sanitizing is doing any good, but it does not appear to have stopped the virous, or would things be much worse without it?

dj victor

Deckhand
On the Princess Sapphire this April :

There are sanitzers that dispense at each entrance to the food buffet.

They also station a crew member beside it, to request that it is used.

Then upon going into the dining room each night. There was a waiter at each
door to spray your hands.

One time I went down middle and gave each one of my hands ! :D I was on the Daimond on Feb 2005 and they were doing this at the time

dj victor

Deckhand
I don't know if each cruise a passenger brings it on board or if once it starts it stays on board running through the crew.

They (cruiseslines) gives a "shots";"vaccines" (Flu) to the crew at every change of season ex: Alaska and Europe

Jackie

Deckhand
this was the ship that went through the Force 11 Gale in the Bay of Biscay last week.
the staff Captain reported to guests at a coctail party that the ship had been very hard to handle & when he got back to his cabin, it was awash & the Tv was in the water.
Now where had the water come from ( other cabins were effected too on the outside of the ship) Was it effluent, which if it was would explain the spread of sickness.

egbert

Deckhand
SarahB thanks for the link.
I am sick and tired of people whining "they should have told us before boarding the ship" and it "totally ruined my vacation" etc, etc. As a frequent cruiser i was on some ships with the Norovirus spreading....
What else than sanitizing should the cruise industry do? Stop sailing?
Hey, no airline company grounds its fleet - and they do spread the virus daily;luckily you only realize a stomach virus some time after reaching one's destination, due to the incubation time. Or the worst distributor of that kind of deseases are the hospitals -would they like to close the hospitals? Its there,its all over where people gather. If they are afraid =avoid cruise ships, festivals and all sort of crowded places where food is served and where they come into contact with their own species.....

Peebeegee

Deckhand
"the Tv was in the water."
Any TV in any cabin I have used was at least 3 feet off the floor so how deep was the water:?
If they can't even get it right for a Staff Captain what chance do we mere mortals have?
More seriously though you cannot give a jab to prevent the spread of Norovirus so any injections given to the crew are academic. I was in Southampton Mayflower terminal on many occasions last year and you could not even go into the departure area without having your hands sprayed. When we boarded a ship in Antigua we were made to use the dispenser before even going up the boarding ramp. That said quite often there is a dispenser in the entrance to any or all food serving areas without any notice saying what it is for so a lot of passengers simply ignore it!
I cannot but agree that it is all down to personal hygeine or more likely a lack of it.
Unless people cannot be trusted to accept and adhere to proper standards of hygeine then the idea of a self service buffet will soon become a thing of the past; it happened on Artemis last year for this very reason and may well happen again soon.
Cheers. Paul (with a vested interest to get this sorted out since to go on Sapphire Princess later this year)

egbert

Deckhand
This is an interesting

www.cruisejunkie.com/outbreaks2006.html

link about all the other norovirus etc incidents on cruise ships. Probably there is a heck of a reporting surpression from the cruise lines. I was aboard Galaxy, 1 April 2006 Panama cruise, with lots of norovirus sick people confined to their cabins.

johnmt

Deckhand
Very interesting link, but not what you'd want to read before going on a cruise! Nice to see that virtually all lines can be infected! I wonder what the percentage is of those who fall sick compared to the total number of people cruising. Would help put it into perspective.

BBT

Deckhand
NOROVIRUS or ANY VIRUS/BACTERIA

It has been proven OVER and OVER again--the best way to stop the spread of any virus or bacteria is to wash your hands OFTEN !!!!!!!!.Being in the restaurant business I am amazed at how often you see someone NOT wash their hands after using bathroom, smoking, sneezing, touching face,nose,hair..etc. BEST DEFENSE-WASH OFTEN!!!!!:duh:

CruiseDJ

Deckhand
The Press seem to bring these bugs to the fore when it is a cruise ship, but hardly mention other places. Also Large Hotels, Hospitals, Schools and indeed anywhere there is a large number of people gathered, have their fair share of this type of infection. We were in an Hotel last week for a short break, in the room there was a letter advising about the Novovirus and when we went to dinner they had fixed by the entrance to the dinning room the necessary antiseptic equipment, I over heard the following from the people in front of us

- Wife "here is the anticeptic gel we should use it before we go in"
- Husband, "that does not affect me".

Needless to say he walked in and did not use the Gel. Whilst I do not wish anyone Ill. I wish people like him actually got the virus, then perhaps he might wash his hands in future. :mad: :mad:

Dani

Deckhand
On board the Sapphire, he would be wrestled to the ground, gel applied and then allowed to go back into the dining room.

They were really enforcing the rule. :D

That virus can "Live " on surfaces for quite a few days I believe.
Door knobs, handles, railings are very likely a culprit in the spread.

When we first started sailing on Celebrity, people were served their food in the buffet line. It was not a "Hog Trough " I rather liked it and don't mind if they go back to that method.

At least I was not taking food from a sloppy bar where food was dropped all around or into the next item.

"Want some salad in your gravy ? " :cry:

robyn

Gondoliere
Do you know...I am just thinking, the spread of many diseases these days is precisely what our learned friends above have written :)

It really is just a case of basic HYGIENE!!!!!!:duh: :duh:

Despite all the reports above & since, about Norovirus being prevalent on cruises of 7, 10,14 days, cruises cancelled etc...I managed to survive 37 days earlier this year on P&O's Aurora. No problems, sanitizers ALWAYS at the ready, whether entering the buffet or 'silver service' areas.

Just really comes all the way, back down to the individual passengers I guess...and despite the best efforts of most cruiselines...they cannot control EVERYTHING (& everyone's bad habits) :roll:

Climbing off my soapbox & out to the bathroom to wash my hands now :dancer:

Dani

Deckhand
Along with their hands, some of them could wash their mouth out !

Some of the words that come out of people's mouths today in ordinary conversation ! :oops:

I am a Dinosaur.

SarahB

Deckhand
I think where there are large numbers of people in an enviroment such as a ship, hotel or aircraft the possibility of an outbreak is always lurking.

It takes the cooperation of everyone to pay more attention to hand washing to minimise the chances of anything spreading. I'm pleased to see more action being taken by the criuse lines to prevent this but there is only so much they can do I guess :duh:

Lancashirelad

Deckhand
The BBC were at the cruise terminal this morning talking to passengers getting off Sea Princess. They were not happy. :( I think we just have to remember that bad things happen and people will get ill.

One woman was complaining she had been confined to her cabin and said it was like being in prison and she said the food was not nice and it took 3 hours to get room service. (special menu):(

There is a cold working its way around the office where I work its just one of those things.