• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Adonia's repairs at Falmouth given 4 days by P&O

Neil

Deckhand
Wrong !

Although I have heard from a confidential P & O source what is the problem !

Ally

Deckhand
Rope around the prop perhaps?
Bandos...from what I can tell, from passengers who was on board for the last cruise..which was not good and they were not impressed..she had trouble from the get go...passengers arrived from the UK to find frogmen doing things to a propshaft, the toilets kept breaking down and instead of 2 sea days, they had 5 and those ports they did manage to reach, they got in late and left earlier than planned and she also had significant waterworks problems that led to the hot & cold supply to the cabins being turned off several times for "urgent repairs" to be completed.

It is a shame when a ship is refitted and then runs headlong into trouble that in turn messes up people's plans...but Adonia isn;t the first (or last) to have problems...hopefully Falmouth can get her sorted out properly and she can continue her career with P&O without further difficulties being experienced.

Incidently, those on the cancelled cruise were refunded and given 25% off another cruise...but concensus is that passengers may use the discount on another ship in the fleet and not Adonia.

Neil

Deckhand
Problem is nothing to do with ropes around the props !

My godson's parents were on her maiden cruise and she had no problems on that cruise !

bandos

Deckhand
if divers are inspecting the stern of the ship then I am guessing she has some damage to a prop or leaking propshaft seal, Adonia obviously has a problem otherwise they would not take her out of service, not all problems would be noticed by passengers

Ally

Deckhand
if divers are inspecting the stern of the ship then I am guessing she has some damage to a prop or leaking propshaft seal, Adonia obviously has a problem otherwise they would not take her out of service, not all problems would be noticed by passengers
Exactly....there is no way that any cruise line would take a ship out of service, cancel a cruise and face upsetting many passengers if it was a trivial problem. Adonia has had a spotty past...a fire in the engineroom as Royal Princess a few years ago and other problems right from when she was first built for Rennaissance. It's odd since her sisters have not had the problems to the same extent as she has....you could almost say that she is the "Friday night job", the last in the line and thrown together LOL

Its never good for a cruise line when a much hyped and heralded ship manages a handful of trips before breaking down so much and in a variety of areas that she needs pulling out of the water. Lets just hope that she can get sorted this time around.....maybe they should have spent more on the mechanicals than the plush fabrics when she was refitted...hindsight is always great when you get it in advance though.

Neil

Deckhand
Prop shaft seals are the problem which can wear just like any seal in a vehicle engine.

It is nothing to do with the amount spent on maintenance !

bandos

Deckhand
prop shaft seal damage could have been caused by excessive vibration having a rope wrapped around the prop could it not ?

Ally

Deckhand
prop shaft seal damage could have been caused by excessive vibration having a rope wrapped around the prop could it not ?
...or fishing nets....

When sailing up the Indian coast in 2010 from Sri Lanka to Cochin we picked up loads of nets...much to the fury of the fishermen who then chased us in their boats for miles :eek:

When we got to Cochin I watched a few nets being removed from the stern....made a bit of a mess.

Maybe Adonia will get net/rope cutters fitted to her props, its a very useful device and one that is popular with commercial shipping operators. The cutters would save any repeat of the potential problem of getting snagged in future.