• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Achille Lauro

Neil

Deckhand
It was on this day in 1994, that the Italian passenger ship Achille Lauro caught fire off the East African Coast.

She sunk three days later which was the 47th anniversary of her sailing on her maiden voyage.

Her keel was laid in January 1939 but due to the last war she was not finished and entered service as the William Rhys until the 2nd December 1947.

Photo below of her in her Star Lauro colours.
Achille Lauro 01sl.jpg

Ally

Deckhand
I thought it was Achille Lauro, Neil....

Angelina Lauro did catch fire though, didn't Angelina have one funnel and Achille two?

Maybe I have Achille and Angelina muddled :eek:

Neil

Deckhand
Ally

Thanks for that, just corrected name !

The other one caught fire while we with her in St Thomas, US Virgin Islands.

Ally

Deckhand
Ally

Thanks for that, just corrected name !

The other one caught fire while we with her in St Thomas, US Virgin Islands.
No worries Neil :)

I have changed the title for you too. It was also Achille Lauro that was hijacked in the Med. Both ships had a very chequered history after they joined Lauro...and both had very similar endings too.

jorisar

Deckhand
I am searching for some friends I made on one of the Angelina Lauro cruises, but only have first names. Can anyone tell me if there is a passenger list available for any of the cruises? Rita

Neil

Deckhand
Hi Rita

Welcome to the cruisingtalk website

We have no access to old passenger lists for the Angelina Lauro cruises.

If there was a printed list given out to passengers on the ship, these might appear for sale on ebay.

I do know that sometimes those from the old P & O ships appear for sale on that website.