• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A beauty long gone, but not forgotten...SS Norway (France)

Neil

Deckhand
It was a great pity that the ss France was not re-engined when she was sold and re-named ss Norway.

Had that happened it is possible she could have had a few more years in service and finished up as a tourist attraction and hotel like that planned for the Q E 2.

Ally

Deckhand
This nostalgic image of Norway in Marseille brings back many happy memories...and some bittersweet ones too....

Archives: SS Norway in Marseilles - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

Please do not reproduce the image due to copyright. thank you :)

I sailed aboard her as France when I was a child, sadly too young to remember much about her except that she was so big and great for playing hide and seek with my sisters...much to my parents chagrin....:eek:

Has anyone else got memories of this grand old lady to share?

Mrslinarcos

Deckhand
I had the wonderful priviledge of sailing on her when she was the NORWAY, 1992, 1994, and 2002. Was hoping for the fourth time, but the explosion took her away, that would have been the last seven day cruise my late husband and I would have taken together. Instead, we ended up on the NORWEGIAN WIND, :( :( :( :( I miss the NORWAY.

Mrslinarcos

Deckhand
It was nice that NCL, when they bought her and renamed her the NORWAY and made modifications to her. They retained some of her FRANCE heritage. I just wished the ship was still around, I'm glad I got to sail on this magnificent ship when I could.

I loved that ship....She embodied all of the deco of the famous nightclubs of that era had.....Had the most amazing ballroom....Loved that ship...sailed her several times...